Sunday 31 July 2011

Yeah Baby

Good afternoon have you all had a good Sunday.  We have had a lazy Sunday.  Car boot this morning, Sunday roast made by his Lordship and a bit of internet/bloggy/ebay action.  The car boot was a good one.  Oh yeah baby.  Look at his retro beauty.


Can you tell what it is?  Its a Pac-a-Pic.  Oh yeah baby.  It was made in Syston, Leicester in the 60's/70's and its a beauty.  Would you like to look inside?


Integral compartmants for your picnic with snap on lids.  The original lids are all present and correct and fit, the plastic cups are original but the cutlery is replacements.  Its in super clean condition and I can't wait to use it when we go to Cornwal in a few weeks time. 




The trays stack on top of each other, think I will have an egg salad, with fresh fruit salad and maybe a bit of bunage.  How very retro.  Wish we had a camper van to go with it. 



My second twinkle star, I love this time of year as K tends to weed out his old shirts for charity, recycling etc and I get to use the ones I like best for my patchwork.  The stripe is his shirt not the spotty. 



The real reason for this post is I had a comment from Anne of andamentoblog.blogspot.com asking for a full picture of my hexie quilt and some information about how I made it.  So actually this post is for her really I just thought it would be fun to take some more arty shots in the garden - it was!

Hexies are approximately 7 cm across

The quilt measures 150 cm x 130 cm approx

There are 28 hexie rows x 20 hexie rows which according to K's new 'old' calculator makes


Strange the camera front is reflected in the photo.


It was made in 1970 in Japan and amongst the sales pitch it says small enough to fit into a lady's handbag.  Oh yeah wouldn't you have been the bees knees to have one of these in your bag.  Imagine works do, everyone trying to work out how much they each owe for the bill you could have said 'hey babes check out this new fangled machine, it adds up yeah, and takes away yeah, and divides yeah and oh yeah it even multiplies.  Then all the friends would be in awe of the super number machine and would want one too.  Well maybe they wouldn't - I would because I can't add or do any other maths for that matter to save my life - seriously I have a big hang up about numbers - something to do with a crazy maths teacher who threw the board rubber at you if you didn't get a sum right.  Really he was so scary I used to go into a blind panic and I still do. 

I found the best way to assemble the quilt was to join the hexies in lines and try my best to keep the quilt rectangular.  I say this because I started to make a granny garden quilt once from hexies and the quilt ended up such an irregular shape it put me off finishing it.  Also if you do it this way then you can stop when you get fed up and still have a regular shaped, decent sized quilt.  Hope that makes sense if it makes no sense at all its email me and I will try to explain it more fully. 

Well going now, got to rest, away to London town tomorrow for a few days with K. 

Enjoy your week.





7 comments:

somewhere on the avenue said...

I love your "find", they don't make them like that any more do they! xx

Lalabibaby @ Dreaming of The Simple Life said...

Love that picnic box ... it looks like a giant liquorice allsort! Don't the old man's shirts come in handy for quilting .... mine is missing one or two and I picked up a lovely blue paisley one at the CB yesterday for a quid x

andamento said...

Thank you! It's very kind of you. I was planning to make my quilt about 120 x 150 cm and my hexies are 3" across which is just very slightly bigger than yours, so my quilt will be quite similar in dimensions. It's going to take me a while though. I've covered about 200 hexies so far and have yet to join any, thanks for the tip about joining in rows, I wasn't going to do the gandma's garden thing either, just random too.
Have a good trip to London,
Anne.

helen tilston said...

Enjoy your stay in London

I love the picnic box and your quilt is a treasure
to a great week!
Helenxx

Daisy said...

Hi Debs
Your finished quilt looks gorgeous.
Love your car boot find and your spotty shoes. :) xx

Vintage Jane said...

Lovely picnic set and quilt.

Hope you have a fab time in London. M x

Jacquie said...

Hi love your hexagon quilt and that star block looks amazing with the stripes....I've been wanting to have ago at these since I saw summerfete's .
Thankyou so much for the fabric offer. I do have a decent fabric stash so I would feel bad taking some of yours ...especially as I'm still spending most of my spare time on crochet.
Actually I did do a bit of patchwork today and I really enjoyed it ....will blog when finished.
Jacquie x