One shade with yukky trim
Old yellow glue and bad fringing
I prised the fabric from the shade it took some doing.
A naked shade
I removed all the trim
along with bows and fringing
the shade was made from two parts so I carefully unpicked the side seams
I used some vintage barkcloth fabric and cut out the pattern on the bias for stretch when I make up the shade
I didn't cut out the scallops - too tricky. Then I hand stitched the two pieces together. I fitted it onto the shade and it was a little baggy so I took one side seam in. I then carefully stretched the fabric down the shade and hand stitched the top of the fabric to the shade.
I then pinned and stretched the bottom edge of the fabric so I could hand stitch it.
pin and stretch
stretch and pin - few ouches
I then stitched tiny stitches to attach the fabric to the frame
This is how it looked when it was all stitched up
I trimmed away the excess fabric
Ta Dah - one super grannytastic revamped lamp - ready for the dark evenings.
How pleased was I - very - I might add a bobble trim or some ric-rac around the bottom - I will wait and see how I feel about it in a few days.
Well not yet it's not got a plug yet or a bulb but they are only minor details.
Total cost - Lamp base £1 - Charity Shop
Shade - 50p - Charity Shop
Barkcloth - £1 - Car Boot
Bargain and it only took me one evening to do.
Please note this is probably not the best/correct way to refurb a lampshade and it probably doesn't meet Health and Safety regs - although K has just said that he thinks it will be fine with a low watt bulb.
Just for your information Lamp Light by David Essex was the first single K bought.