Monday 20 January 2014

Simple Modern Sewing

I received this book for Christmas.  I dropped a big hint to Father Christmas and he took notice (actually I bought it myself, wrapped it and popped it on my pressie pile (we all do this don't we?).  I have been yearning to sew something for myself for quite some time and after the visit to Dewsbury to the Mill Shop I had some great fabric to use.  I decided to make Pattern 2b Button Tunic.  I haven't used a Japanese sewing book before so it was all new to me.  I traced the pattern which was included at the back of the book.  It was a bit of a faff and the lines were hard to follow.  I highlighted the size I was going to use and it did make it much easier.  I had treated myself to some Kwik Sew tracing cloth.  I really liked it and would use it again although after a little research I have found that other people use garden fleece as it is a similar material although it doesn't have a grid on it (which I did find useful).


The finished item.

A little hand stitching.

I used orange/red thread for the button and a different way of sewing it on which I had seen somewhere on the internet.


Some stitching around the cuff.


I used an elastic casing instead of the recommended method of binding and gathering the neck.


The book cover


My top.

The sewing instructions were very basic, I thought, so a beginner may struggle but I enjoyed the process.  Unfortunately as a fairly short, little bit chunky, large chested kind of girl  this smock  top really doesn't suit me.  I really should have chosen one of the other styles more suited to my body shape.  We live and learn and I really enjoyed sewing an item of clothing for me rather than a cushion, bag or lampshade for my stall.  

I am going to make more projects from the book as there are 8 patterns with 2 variations to go at.  

Please note I wasn't sponsored for this little review it was just something I wanted to do.  Hope you enjoyed it and if I make anything else I will blog about it right here.

6 comments:

Loo xx from Jumbles and Pompoms said...

Clever you. I think it's really pretty. I've never been able to understand pattern instructions myself. xx

Sally said...

What a lovely top Debs and I love your red stitching detail! Sally x

Jane said...

Welcome back my lovely friend just thought I'd take a look to see if you we're back on line!! Missed you lots....coffee sometime? And please forgive me happy birthday xxx Jane

Busy Lizzie said...

Finally caught up with your brill blog! Sorry for the delay! Lizzie

Dr Purva Pius said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius, call/whats-App Contact Number +918929509036 via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

Dr Purva Pius said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius, call/whats-App Contact Number +918929509036 via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.